As a social media manager I am often asked how to get and retain clients. The answer is simple. As a freelance writer it is important to always be growing your contact list and leads list. Build an affiliate network; some call it a strategic partner network or dream team. Whatever you call it, you have a team of people who can help you grow your business and you help them grow their businesses through mutual referrals. As a business owner and operator it is especially important to provide clients and employees service and results above expectations.
Here are nine secrets to getting (and keeping) freelance writing clients:
- Be Social: The number one way to keep your freelance writing client pipeline filled is to be social, especially if you are a community manager, social media strategist or blogger. Comment on other blogs, subscribe to other blogs, follow people on Twitter and like Facebook pages PLUS….
- Build relationships with other entrepreneurs – Some call it networking but not me; networking is exchanging business cards and it doesn’t work because people do business (and refer business) with/to people they know, like & trust.
- Have a clear vision of what you want to do for your clients and then…
- Create a network of strategic partners or a Dream Team: Who do you need “in your back pocket” to make your business soar? For example, I love writing and don’t like graphics or web design. I have graphics and web designers on my team.
- Don’t do work for free – at the very least trade blogging for graphic design, for example.
- Don’t work hourly. I did and hated it so please learn from my mistake!
- Know your hourly rate: How much do you want to make in a year? month? week? Convert this hourly rate into a project rate for proposals and agreements with clients.
- Ask the client what their budget and expectations are; most will want a champagne product on a beer budget. This is where knowing your business services comes in handy.
- Charge what you are worth and don’t be stingy! You can always scale back the scope of the proposed project to meet the client’s budget. I re-bid a project yesterday with scaled down services and lower monthly fee.
We can’t wait to hear your secrets to retaining clients for your freelance business!
McAuley Freelance Writing was recently featured in the Arizona Republic story of Renewal and Reinvention. We provide freelance writing services and social media management for small businesses. We create and deliver high quality products and service because your business is our business. Contact Anne McAuley at 480-206-6452, [email protected] and visit our website www.mcauleyfreelancewriting.com.