When it comes to blogging there are a lot of options and it can be overwhelming. Maybe you know you want to start a blog but when it comes to choosing a focus and design you aren’t sure what to choose. Take heart. We’ve all been there!
Here are five tips for any blogger to help you get started blogging:
- Don’t overthink it. While you don’t want to be all over the place, the focus for your blog can be as simple as tips-for-moms or spiritual journey. As you and your audience become more defined then you may narrow topics and focus.
- Consider a monthly theme or focus for blog posts. My friend Sandi is blogging about choices this month. Now you’re within an overall blog theme and a monthly focus of topic. It will help you craft your posts.
- Blogging for business or pleasure? Initially you may blog for an audience of friends and family for pleasure. As time passes and you understand the business of blogging you may choose to shift to a more business based approach. Either way is great and kudos for becoming a blogger!
- Blog design is important. If you’re blogging for business you may (and likely will) have a different blog design than if you are blogging for pleasure. Design includes domain name, template, colors and logo. “So-and-so-dot-blogspot-dot-com” may work for a fun, personal blog but it won’t fly as a business blog. Invest the time to learn how to improve design as you evolve your blog focus and audience. It’s worth your time and money.
- Know your audience. As your following grows it becomes more important to speak to your audience. Who you think is your audience may not be your audience – or your only audience. If you’re a mom blogger, you may have business bloggers following you because you write about organizing or efficiency. It is important to know and understand so you can write to that audience – or risk losing them.
Congratulations on starting or changing your blog for 2013! Share a link to your blog so we can follow you and happy blogging!
McAuley Freelance Writing helps businesses get noticed online through content marketing including blogging, copywriting and social media. We like to say we’re Word Stylists. While celebrity stylists help their clients find their public style with clothes, hair and make-up, we help our clients find their style with words and messaging. Call us at 480-206-6452 to learn more about how we help businesses.